Sunday, February 1, 2009

I am sure Jake will simply roll his eyes when he reads this post (he will think i am exaggerating the experience, but this is the way I see it - - from my point of view).

Let me set the stage a little bit here: There were about three years of my life (elementary school, of course), when I was rarely seen without a basketball jersey on. I was convinced I was going to become a WNBA star and dribble my way to fame. I was decent at basketball (except for the one year during the free-throw tournament when my dad had my sister run out to a trophy store to get me a trophy because they didn't want me to feel bad when I didn't place - somehow i took third), and played through school until my sophomore year of high school. I even remember holding my arms up to this poster in my brother's room to see if I could be "like mike":

I had felt pretty confident with my ability to play basketball until the other night. You know those people on the team that you feel bad for, but you let them play anyways although if you pass to them, they will try shooting it and way overshoot the hoop? Yeah, that was me the other night. Jake and I went before the game so I could shoot around and I was doing okay. Then, when everyone got there we started to get ready for the game and I was asked what position I play. I froze - I couldn't remember any positions! I came up with the perfect answer that anyone would give if they didn't know what to say: "oh, i can play anywhere". After feeling like an idiot, we went out on the court for the initial jump ball and I found myself not knowing which direction we were going! (luckily, the ref pointed out which direction each team was going). To keep the story short, I will simply say I stink. I should have probably just stayed home - the night consisted of me making one or two baskets (i think), catching the ball between my knees, passing the ball to the opposite team, and just running around while the other ladies made plays. I can't decide if I am going to spare these poor women this week and not go, or play to see if by some miracle I can get better. I am officially kissing my WNBA future goodbye...

3 comments:

K.E.N said...

Oh Mary...I don't think I stopped laughing while I read that entire post. I just simply love you and miss you terribly. I'm glad you aren't in the WNBA, I doubt we ever would have been friends if you were. :)

Anonymous said...

If Jake needs any witnesses to your great basketball career just have him talk to Heather or me. It sometimes helps to have those who witnessed your childhood around! We love and miss seeing you all the time.
Love - Kelli Ford

Julie And Adam said...

Well, I can tell you it's a whole lot better than I can do. I can't dribble and run/walk at the same time and I flinch when a ball is passed my way! Hee hee!