Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stinkin' Punk Kids...

before you read this, please know that everyone is safe and i would have not been so upset if someone had actually been hurt....

Last night was quite an experience. Jake had just left for work, I was settling in bed watching the great "gilmore girls" when all of a sudden I heard a crazy crash outside. I thought it was a garbage truck (it sounded like a garbage truck slamming it's crane down), but to my suprise I opened the blinds to see this: (click on the pic if you want to see a larger version)

the boy in the cast was NOT in the accident - he is our neighbor and I have no idea what happened to his leg.

sorry about the fuzzy picture - i'm not the best photog

That's right - there is a random car flipped on it's side, slammed into Jake's car. Jake's car was parked on the street when somehow the white car flipped over and totaled both cars. So, I ran outside the house and first came to a lady who was on her cell phone with 911 screaming at me to tell her my address. After I said it about 10 times I ran up to the scene and saw the two punk kids climb out of the driver's side window. I guess at first the driver was knocked out for a minute, but then came to and was fine. He just had a small cut on his hand, and the other kid was fine. After I saw them jump out, i ran inside to call jake and tell him to come home. Of course I didn't know how to handle my emotions and started crying the second I heard his voice. He turned around to come home.

I don't want to go into all the crazy details because I start remembering how ticked off I was, but i will tell you a few key facts:

  1. The two punk kids claimed that someone cut them off and they had to swerve out of the way, thus slamming into Jake's car. The two witnesses both stated that there were no cars that cut them off. (how would this happen anyways when we live in a neighborhood where no one can drive fast on the street because there are speed bumps?)
  2. The mom of the driver was explaining to Jake how it was sad that this happened because the kid had just gotten his car out of the shop a couple days ago after a "hit and run accident" ( i guess the guy who hit him ran off because he didn't have insurance or something). To say the least I was not feeling one bit sorry for the car or about the money he spent to "supe" his car up.
  3. The punk kids called all their friends and probably every family member to come check out the damage. Once again - I was not amused. By the time their car was towed away i think there were 40 friends and family who came to "check out the damage"
  4. After Jake's car was towed away and the white car flipped back on it's wheels, the punk driver proceeds to say "Hey guys (announcing to all of his crowd) you wanna see $10k down the tubes?", then opens his hood for all to admire his "stellar" engine or whatever is under there. - once again not amused.
It stinks, but at least no one was hurt. Once again, as in probably every crazy situation, I was the one in hysterics and Jake was extremely calm. It must be that police training. I was about ready to throw some punches once I found out everyone was okay. It was nice to have our neighborhood come out to make sure everything was okay (also to investigate what had happened), and our neighbors help me and jake get everything out of the car and make sure everything was taken care of. It's nice to know that people are there to help. I think Jake's favorite thing about this whole situation is that he can now look for a truck! Oh the joys of car shopping...



Side note - the car was driving down the street the opposite direction it is facing in these pictures. It was driving the same direction Jake's car is faced. So spin, flip, and whatever else it had to do to get into this situation.


On a random note - i know you are all wondering, but I haven't eaten ANY french fries since my last post about Hawaii!

7 comments:

Vic said...

The only way this post would have been better is if there were pictures of stupid, injured drivers. And you eating french fries:)

I am glad you are ok, love you!

Shumway Family said...

How you could restrain yourself from '10k down the drain" I don't know. I frequently get run off the road -- especially speed bump roads.
Too bad the kid had two incidents of people hitting him and running, what bad luck!

Celebrate with Jillian! HA!

Evan and Holly said...

We had a stupid kid with no insurance hit our parked car a week after Kyle was born. She didn't know how to drive her manual car and hit ours head on. It was a disaster because we were supposed to be leaving to pick up my mother from the airport. The driving test should somehow weed out the stupid, crazy, and just ignorant better.

Marianne said...

I'm sorry that had to happen to your car. I would have been SO mad at those kids, too. I'm glad that nobody was hurt.

BlueAdagio said...

WOW.

That's no fun. Good luck finding a new vehicle. And I hope life is a bit less dramatic for you for awhile.

And good luck with the french fry thing. Hawaii, that's an awesome motivation. I'm rooting for you.

Julie And Adam said...

If only weeding out the idiot drivers were that easy!... Unfortunately people can drive like they should on a road test and then drive like a retard the rest of the time. You should have punched him in the face!

jen said...

Cedric was just telling me how he thinks that he should be able to drive. When we read this story together it was a great example of why he shouldn't get a license until he is 30! I would have gone Chuck Norris on the punks!!! Good luck truck shopping!