Sunday, August 3, 2008

Al Borland and Gangsters


So, this past week I went to TJ Maxx at lunch to just look around. I usually find cute stuff pretty inexpensive and went to just see if there was anything I couldn't live without. After browsing through the racks, I found this super cute coat. It is a dark green plaid pea coat, and after trying it on and walking around the store with it on, I decided I couldn't live without it. Plus it was only $20! I also have a habit of getting black coats that are cute, but are not warm in the winter. I felt pretty good after buying it, and was excited to show Jake my steal of a deal! The next day after jake came home from work i tried it on for him (after promising him it was the cutest coat and he would love it) and you know what he said? "I don't want to hurt your feelings, but it reminds me of Al Borland". Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed but laughed it off. (i promise the coat is super cute!)
I have also been told that the next time I go shopping for jeans, Jake gets to come. I have a habit of getting jeans that are comfortable and don't fit 100%. Most of the time I am able to take them off without even unbuttoning them. I look like a gangster! I should probably apply to be on "What Not to Wear".
In other news, we have started a humongous project that I was really excited about, but just realized it is a huge undertaking. We are re-doing our kitchen. We started by taking off one cupboard door and discovered there are about seven layers of paint! The guy who remodeled the house before Jake moved in had a tendency to just slop the paint on, even over the hinges. We want to fix up the kitchen and make it look beautiful, and part of that is sanding down the cupboards until they are smooth and repainting them. I went out and got some paint stripper and slapped some on, after Jake attempted to sand it and it didn't even look like he had touched it. After peeling it off, it actually worked! It is going to take FOREVER, but I am sure it will be beautiful!
Today was my first time in my new calling- Primary teacher for the 7 year olds turning 8. I didn't spend enough time preparing my lesson, so it didn't go as smooth as I had hoped. I am usually okay winging it, and figured that after teaching primary to other ages, and working with kids all last summer I would be okay. After I got into class today I didn't realize how long it had been since I had been around kids that age. There was one boy that is going to be my challenge this year. When the primary president came over to give me the manual, she told me and the other teacher (the girl who lives downstairs), that there was one boy who had "alot of energy and loves to express it during primary". I took this as "there is a crazy, out of control boy who is going to drive you nuts". I didn't realize how rough it was going to be. After a morning of him not listening and in sharing time yelling, kicking chairs, telling a boy in the front row "YOU STINK BIG TIME", (the bishop even came up to me and told me the kid was hard to control) I realized I am going to have to rely completely on the Lord for this one. Jake said that I could tell him I would beat him up if he didn't listen, and could bring his tazer into class, but I decided that probably wasn't the best option, and the kid might even want to be tazed. I am guessing I was put into this calling to learn patience. I do have four other kids in the class that are amazingly perfect, and the bishop's son is seriously one of the cutest kids I have ever seen. I am excited for the calling, but today was ready to tell the bishop I couldn't handle it. At least I only have to teach everyother week, and can control the crazy kid while Angela teaches.
I am off to eat a dinner of macaroni and cheese...

3 comments:

K.E.N said...

THANK YOU! I have been waiting for a new post for so long! And you didn't tell me you were redoing your kitchen...and it's funny you talk about lots of layers of paint, b/c we have started redoing our porch with the same result. We also went and bought paint stripper and I used it just on the pole and it worked, but like you said, it will take forever (we have a good sized porch). Well, good luck, and I'm sure you don't look like Al-you're a woman! And don't forget to ship those big pants my way after you buy ones to replace them...I can always use jeans that fit. :)

Shumway Family said...

You know you love Al and want to be just like him - save it for a Halloween costume!

Miss seeing you!

jen said...

Glad to hear the stripper worked. Let us know if you need help - we've been there many times before! I just found jeans that I love, BKE from the buckle. Okay, they cost a bit of money but are SO worth it!
Love and miss you tons!